Wind down of summer

The lazy summer days are on their way out and school prep is in full swing.  I grieved the end of summer for several days, and then realized there's no fighting it, and it's time to prepare for the next season.  The school year will bring big changes this fall as I go from two students to five.  It will be a good year I'm sure, but it's always daunting from this vantage point. 
Some of our recent events in the Starting house:   Luke and I trained for a couple of months to be ready to run in our first race ever- an 8k.  It was a big challenge for me especially, as I've never been a runner.  We were really excited until the Wednesday before when I sprained my ankle going down the stairs.  I was so bummed I cried.  The chiropractor helped me some and we downgraded to a 3k.  Luke did a fantastic job! and he had so much fun running.  I finished in a decent time, but it was hard running with my foot, even just a couple miles.  Still, so glad we did it and hope we'll run many more races together!


Marta is changing so fast now, and I'm dying that she's turning one this month.  She's the sweetest little baby and there isn't an ounce of anything that I don't just absolutely delight in with her.  I think that comes from her being my sixth.  She has so much love, the big kids are always around to help, and I'm always painfully aware of how fast this time goes.  She loves to crawl over to the piano, stretch out on her tippy toes and play some happy tunes.  Love it!!




Ben has blossomed this summer, his own sense of humor rising to the surface and his guard coming down bit by bit.  I've noticed him coming alongside Emi quite often and wrapping his arms around her.  I think he feels so loved and safe with her nuturing personality. 


The twins spent this week sick.  They have shot up in height and are so skinny, they turn to little wisps when they don't eat for a couple days.  Tess is over hers, but Lydie is still on the couch.  Poor girl.
It's a good time of life.  I've loved watching the kids grow.  We're settling in to our new home.  Joe and I are growing and learning in this sometime chaotic world of parenting, and God is always showing himself faithful to stretch us, to discipline us, and to hold our heads up.  We're going through our days trying always to keep our eyes on eternity!

Comments

Popular Posts