Today was a big day in a funny sort of way.  I went to Winco with the kids to pick up some extra canning jars.  While there Ben helped himself to a piece of candy out of the bulk bin.  As far as I know, this was the first time it's happened, but I have definitely been guilty of distraction in the grocery store on occasion.  However,   I do have a nine year old police officer as well as one three year old junior police officer with me at all times, so I'm pretty sure he had never been so brazen before.  In fact, I wouldn't have even noticed this time except that I saw a nice and somewhat older store worker walking briskly after Ben until he spotted me and connected me as Momma.  Then he just walked away.  It caught my notice enough to suspect Ben had done something and when I saw him gumming something while hidden under the cart I quickly new what had happened.  I went straight to Ben and made him spit out what was in his mouth.  He started to cry and then I told him he would have to walk straight over to that (same) man and tell him he stole a piece of candy.  Ben was terrified and mortified, but I knew he needed to do it.  I walked him over there and said to the man that Ben had stolen a piece of candy and that he was here to say sorry.  Ben, through his sobs, said sorry and the man very graciously said his apology was accepted.  We walked back to the cart and I just let Ben cry a bit after explaining why stealing was so wrong etc. The best part of this whole drama was that Ben was so grieved by what he had done.  About an hour later he came to me and said, "Mom, I'm so sorry." (I doubt Ben has ever done this on his own) I hugged him and comforted him and talked about Jesus forgiving us and how that was the greatness of God's gift to us, that He died for Ben when He knew Ben would sin.  I talked to him about how we all sin every day and we just need to run to Jesus when we are tempted and when we fail and we sin, then we need to confess our sin to our loving Jesus.  Ben was so moved and just said again that he was so sorry.  This is the first time that Ben has shown true remorse over his sin.  At bed time he said he was sorry again, so again I explained forgiveness and asked him if he had confessed his sin to Jesus.  Ben prayed a couple months ago and told Jesus that he wanted to trust in Him with his whole heart.  This step today was really special.  For the first time, I got to listen to him experience relationship with Jesus as he prayed and told Him that he sinned and stole that candy and he was so sorry and so thankful that Jesus forgave him.  Such a special day!

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a hard lesson Ben, but now you know even better how Jesus loves and forgives you. Grandma loves you.

Popular Posts