a memorable Christmas

This Christmas will top my Christmas memories for a couple of reasons. In the month before Christmas, some reading I was doing was so impressing on my heart (now is when I wish to be an eloquent writer...) how that moment when Jesus was born had been waited for by all of heaven and earth for all of time. I don't think my heart ever appreciated so fully those words that the angels sang "Glory to God in the highest, peace on earth, good will towards men." Imagine what that sounded like. They had waited and watched for that moment for so long. When God would bring true peace to earth and the course of history would change. The embodiment of Good Will towards men. And how they must have sang Glory to God!!
And so I was anticipating Christmas with passion in my heart this year. My heart was overflowing with wonder and gratitude as Christmas drew near. And then my sweet Grandpa became ill. He had heart surgery and at first appeared to come through quite well, but pneumonia set in and at his age (87) it was too much for his body to fight off. I was blessed with some sweet moments with him in the days before he died. The day after surgery I went to visit him and as I walked to his bedside he said "Oh, you look so pretty." That was Grandpa to me. Always treating me like I was special. Always a sweet word and a smile. Always a hug and kiss and open arms. Always such joy to see my babies and welcome their presence. On Thanksgiving this year I took the kids out to see Grandpa and Grandma in the morning. I was anxious that they might be wearied by the kids, so I just took Luke in with me and left the others in the car. Only moments after hugs and kisses they asked if the rest of the kids were here and then insisted that I bring them in. That's one of my last memories with them alone before Grandpa died and I won't ever forget that special morning. I just stayed there basking in their love for me and my children and loving them in return.
And so when Grandpa died on Christmas Eve we were so sad to say goodbye to a man who had loved us so much. Our comfort was that he no longer grew weaker, no longer felt pain, no longer struggled but was now in Jesus' arms. He always loved stories and I wonder if he's hearing the stories of old right now, from the great men of history. We'll miss Grandpa so much. My kids are so sorry to lose their "Grandpa Goose". Even Ben (3 years) has said many times that he wants to fly to Jesus too and has felt real loss to lose his Grandpa Goose. We'll miss you Grandpa, and we'll see you soon!
Comments
Melanie