be right back
We're at the table eating dinner. Ben (2) spots a bird out the window and says, "A bird! I shoot it with a gun?" I respond by explaining that we don't shoot the little birdies, just the bucks (in theory anyway.... haven't seen a buck on my table since young childhood....). Ben gets excited and says, "I can Mom? I shoot a buck with my gun???" I tell him sure, he can and he hops right off his chair and returns with his coat and boots seeking my aid. I get him dressed, not quite certain of his plans but assuming he is on his way out into the back yard to hunt down a big one. I ask him where he is going and he says, "I be right back. You stay here. I go Bela's (that's Cabelas) shoot buck." I try to explain that he can't go to Cabela's, but he continues to insist that he can and that he'll be right back. So, we wink at each other and say goodbye to him, telling him to have a wonderful time. He says goodbye and heads out the front door. He makes it as far as a plant where he stops to play with the leaves (apparently he stopped to think). He turns back, comes inside and says, "Daddy keys?" Joe, very smoothly hands off his keys and we say goodbye once again. Ben heads out the door and makes his way to the truck. After his futile attempts at unlocking the truck door, he heads to the other side only to find he can't unlock that door either. He hops on over to the van and tries to get the door open there. Joe opens the remote door from inside the house and Ben crawls in and closes it behind him. He tosses the keys up on the dash, pops a piece of Trident in his mouth and grabs onto the gear shift to take off. Seems to realize he needs to start the car, grabs the keys and is making his attempt when I take these pictures. As I approach the window he says very reassuringly to me, "Mom, I be right back!"

Comments
Grandma