twin fight

The twins had their first fight today. I've never experienced two babies at one time, so this was new to me. They were on their tummies playing with toys when one (I don't know which one, which you'll hear more about later) spotted a preferred toy and the fight began. They were screeching and screaming and both grabbing onto the same toy at the same time, quite frustrated with the other grabbing it. Oh boy. Seems a little early for fights.
Now, as for the issue of never knowing who is who. It's driving me crazy. The other day I was holding one in my arms and looking down at the other on the ground. I was so sweetly expressing my delight that I knew for certain that was Lydia on the ground. I mean, I was positive! I have been studying their faces trying to see the subtle differences. I thought it was working. It's not. After lots of giggles from the girls I happened to pull the one in my arms away from me to glance at her ear (which is the only way I tell them apart- Tessa has a little folded over part on the top of her right ear from the way she was positioned in the womb) and noticed that indeed it was Lydie in my arms and Tessa lying on the ground, laughing at me.
And so, tomorrow I am taking Tessa to have her ears pierced. I have been dying over the idea of it as I am sort of a wimp when it comes to my babies undergoing needless pain. But alas, I see no other option (other than Luke's ongoing suggestion of a large T on Tessa's forehead, with washable marker of course). Then of course I struggled over only piercing one babies ears because it isn't "fair" and for sure there will be serious psychological scarring over my choice to make one prettier..... oh well. What can I do? If I pierce both, then the kids will stop saying "this one" and "that one" and start saying "the one with the purple earrings" and "the one with the pink earrings". This way they'll be able to just remember that Tessa, who already has the "marker ear" will have earrings. And maybe they'll start calling them by name. And maybe I will know who I am holding, feeding, rocking...

Comments

You could give one a tattoo...Or more seriously how 'bout a friendship bracelet or baby bracelet that won't fall off?
Although we pierced Ava's ears when she was just two months...and it was not that bad. Cried for about ten seconds and then slept (maybe she was coping?) Anyhoo, I think babies with pierced ears are so pretty. :)

Popular Posts