2 down, 28 to go
So, Joe and I decided that we are putting our family through a "No white sugar" month. 30 days with no white sugar. We are also doing no white flour (which goes hand in hand with sugar) and no empty food (high calorie filler foods that do not neccessarily containing sugar, like chips). Now I don't think that we are high junk food consumers and we don't eat a lot of sugar, or I didn't think we did. I give the kids Cheerios. We sometimes have Kettle chips with lunch. I make chocolate chip cookies and the kids have one a couple times a week. Joe and I on the other hand really like to have a little treat after dinner-- like a few bites of ice cream or a cookie. Never in excessive quantity, but regularly. On the whole we eat pretty healthy though. I cook and we love whole food and fresh food. Still we knew there was a habit that needed to be broken. We wanted to do this for many reasons but mostly we just don't want to be controlled by our desire for something sweet. We're on day two. We definitely miss treats. Seems kind of rediculous, but I can totally tell my body is craving sugar- even in just two days without it. Last night we went on a date for our anniversary and Joe was seriously bummed to not have dessert. I had been anticipating the deprivation and so didn't mind so much. Today however, I am tired! I have realized recently that I often use something sugary or high carb as a little pick-me-up when I'm tired (I've definitely experienced tired over the last six months) and I can see that I have trained my body to depend on this pick-me-up. We cleared the house of anything that is not what we should be eating this month and I am working hard to replace those empty foods with delicious whole foods. The kids hardly seem to notice. A few frozen blueberries after a meal is a GREAT treat in their eyes. Joe and I are looking forward to getting the sugar craving out of our system and thus doing away with the side effects. My greatest hopes for this month are that we will experience better health that makes our minds and bodies clearer and stronger and that we will have a great experience of growth in discipline and obedience to what the Lord is leading us to do. I also hope that we will find a love for good food and good health and keep up a life of healthier eating after this! Just don't talk to me about coffee. :) guess that'll have to be phase two...
Comments