summer pleasures
Not sure why some days seem like all work, and other days, without any intention turn out to be all play. We woke up nice and late this morning at 8am and got ready to go to a concert in the park with Grandma. We packed a lunch and stopped to get juice boxes and a treat at the dollar store. The concert was the last of the season, so they were giving away all sorts of things, to our delight (who doesn't love free things!). We received sunglasses (very corny...but the kids love them), chap stick, frisbees, bottled water, cake, and kazoos (that are now on top of the fridge, probably for a VERY long time). The kids danced and had SO much fun. Ben loved the music and was happy and content the whole time there. Emily ventured out far beyond her normal reservedness and made friends which delighted her heart. Luke found a boy to play frisbee with. Afterwards we went to Grandma's house to nap. Grandma and I enjoyed a game of backgammon and babies all slept. I got an itch to go berry picking during nap time??? so when the kids got up we went driving to the blueberry farm. It was closed. We were out in the beauty by then and decided to keep driving. Came across a ton of blackberries along the road and spent an hour or two picking them. Ben learned very quickly to say "berrrrrr. peasssss." Emi cried a million times about the pokes and Luke felt like a man earning his fair wage of ten cents per cup (it started out per full cup, but I noticed those cups being emptied with less and less berries in them). He earned himself a full fifty cents, which I doubled for such hard work and good attitude. Not a bad price for a bucket of blackberries :).
I'm always touched in my soul to see food come straight from the plant to our kitchen. I wish we grew more of our food than we do, and I'm sure we will do more next year. My heart automatically worships God when I see the food that He grows for us. I came home singing "the trees of the fields will clap their hands..." thinking about how someday all of creation will give praise to the King for all He has given us! Wish you could all have a piece of the pie....we'll eat a slice for you ;)
Ben-Ben taking a bath in the sink while I made pie. He especially loved standing up and sitting down quickly to create a tidal wave effect. He managed to do it several times, to the delight of his siblings, as I had my hands covered in flour and dough....
Comments
miller-trek.blogspot.com
mark(and gwen)