I've been reading "Shepherding a Child's Heart" by Ted Tripp. Really good book.. and my attention has been particularly drawn towards realizing that my children are created to worship. They will automatically (without any input from me) worship someone or something. Either I will train them and through the working of the Spirit in their lives help them to worship God or they will by default worship their own lusts and desires. My mind has been so focused on the need to draw their hearts toward surrender to God's plan for their lives and then today I somehow bumped into this blog through Jodi's blog and this gal quoted Beth Moore. I don't even know who this friend of Jodi's is, but she is a sister and I'm sure she won't mind me quoting her :) this caught my attention because it was so in line with what I have been thinking on with the kids, only this time applies directly to my relationship with God. Brings into perspective what the long term blessing (or consequence) of teaching my babes to surrender will be.

" 'My favorite thing she had to say was..."The moment you awake, settle the issue of authority. Awaken every morning to the challenge, 'Choose...this day whom you will serve!' (Josh 24:15). Remember, any day not surrendered to the Spirit is virtually surrendered to the flesh by simple default! We will slip back into what comes most naturally to us: our sin nature! ... All sin boils down to an issue of authority. His will or my will?' "

It's easy to dive into (or crawl into) a day with intentions of following the Spirit without first consciously, as Beth said, "settling the issue of authority". Was a good reminder for me.

Comments

Kate said…
Vicki, Thanks for your comment. So encouraging. I love to see how wide God's family is and I am blessed to see how many of us are thinking alike. Sometime I start to feel worried thinking, "am I the only one who feels this way or that way?" probably because we fail to talk about our faith openly. So I am glad to hear that Beth Moore's words tugged on your heart strings as well. Oh how I want to be in love with Christ and yet how can I do this without giving myself to Him first thing every morn.? I choose His will!

Popular Posts